A gold pendant consisting of stylized foliage and scrolls set with three green tourmalines and decorated with a hand engraved guilloche on which beautfilul translucent pink and lightgreen enamel, signed: Mrs. Philip Newman, England, circa 1900. One tiny chip to the enamel.
weight: 8.1 grams dimensions: 5.5 x 2.1 grams length chain: 44 cm.
Mrs Philip Newman (working 1836-1920) was a pupil of John Brogden. She exhibited with him at the Paris Expositions of 1867 and 1878, winning a médaille d’honneur. After Brogden's death in 1885 Mrs Newman set up her own business at 18 Clifford street shop first, later relocating to 10 Savile Row where the business remained in operation until and following her death in 1920. Her daughter and granddaughter continued the business until about 1939.
Her jewels are very individual in character.
Literature: Jewelry & Metalwork in the Arts & Crafts Tradition Elyse Zorn Karlin, 1993, page 84.